Project Minimalism: Decluttering and Simplifying my Life

by - Sunday, March 12, 2017


Vanity Clutter
My vanity is an absolute disaster and it brings me great shame every day.
When I first heard about the idea of minimalism, I admit that I thought it was kind of stupid. I thought: why would people not want stuff? Stuff is great! I think in the past, I associated stuff with happiness and that resulted in buying and hoarding a ton of random things that I don't particularly like or have a use for. In retrospect, I don't think any happiness was derived from having stuff; but rather I was using stuff as a distraction from unhappiness.

Recently, all this stuff in my life has made me feel really anxious and I think I'm finally ready to get rid of most of it. I suppose this is what people call a "lifestyle change". Like becoming a vegan or a Scientologist or something. I am anticipating a profound catharsis from this purge and I am kind of excited.

I felt great immediately after making the decision that I will declutter but about 2 seconds later, I realized the sheer enormity of this task.

closet
I swear I didn't do this.
I. HAVE. SO. MUCH. STUFF.

I have no idea how this happened but somehow, throughout my lifetime I have accumulated an amazing amount of stuff. I have so much makeup, clothes, hats, stuffed animals, lotions, random papers, aflljadflas;dlfjasdl;f.

But I'm committed to this now. I am going to get rid of the things I don't like or don't use, I am going to keep my room more organized, and I am going to be aesthetic and minimalist like all the cool people on Instagram. I have dubbed this whole thing >>> PROJECT MINIMALISM <<<

The Game Plan:

The Vanity:
- Get rid of all the makeup and skincare that I haven't used since 2010
- Buy cute trays and holders to store my essentials
- Fit more stuff into the drawer to clear the tabletop

The Bookshelf:
- Get rid of all the hats and scarves I don't like
- Find room for my necklaces inside the vanity drawer
- Find another spot for my hair stuff
- Put some of my favorite books in there

The Closet:
- Donate/throw out clothes I don't like or wear
- Reorganize my clothes by color
- Store my caps somewhere out of sight

The Desk:
- Clear out all the loose random papers
- Clear out the top shelf (like why do I keep lotions here??)
- Put the books on my bookshelf

Bookshelf
Why do bad things happen to good people?
Hopefully by the end of this journey, I will have shinier hair, a successful career, a healthier diet, and 20/20 vision. But we'll see.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. "While you start decluttering, follow the below steps to make the process easy and simple.

    Set aside a time in your schedule and segment the task into different parts. For example, set aside x amount of hours for your wardrobe, followed by your bedroom, then your storage room and so on. This will make whole task manageable.
    Start with a small area as there is too many spaces in house to declutter, its always good to pick up a small area to start off.
    Let go of things you have no use for. Sometimes we keep things which we think we will use later but we seldom do it. It’s always better to give away to those in needy or recycle and reuse.
    Finish sorting the stuff then aim for organising.
    Prefer scheduling a clutter clearing session for atleast 30 minute a week as a form of maintenance to weed out whatever clutter is gathered during the past week.

    You might need a Professional Decluttering and Organizing Services, visit website https://www.housethatservices.com."

    ReplyDelete